The work permit is a document that allows the Green Card applicant to obtain the right to work between the time his Green Card is granted and the time his Green Card is physically issued. The work permit is also issued to the spouses of individuals holding L1 or E2 visas.

Eligibility requirements
The application must be made 90 days after the initial visa application. The applicant must be in the United States at the time of application.
The applicant must have applied for a Green Card with “Adjustment of Status”.

Period of validity
It is valid for 1 year until the green card is issued.

Status of dependents
The spouse of an L1 or E2 visa holder will be required to present a valid marriage certificate, as de facto marriage is not recognized.

Special features
Work authorization and work permit are two distinct concepts.