A foreign national who wishes to marry an American citizen and reside in the United States before marriage must obtain a K-1 visa.

Eligibility requirements

Marry an American citizen within 90 days of entering the United States.

The person for whom the visa application will be submitted must have met the American citizen in person within the 2 years preceding the K-1 visa application.

The spouses must demonstrate their intention to build their lives together.

Period of validity

The visa is valid for 4 months and can be renewed for an additional 4 months.

Status of dependents

Minor children may be attached to the status of the visa holder and be granted a work permit.

Special features

The visa application must be made to the U.S. Consulate in the foreign national’s country of origin.